Skip to main content

What I'm Reading Now



Man - this book was HARD to read! It goes against everything I think about marriage, but provides insight into what is going on...even though I hope not on the scale she reports...

Some quotes from the book:
"One in three babies is born to a single mother today. While the number of unwed births among teens has decreased steadily, it has risen just as steadily among college-educated women in their mid-thirties and forties."

"A study in 2008, cited after Tiger Wood's prodigious infidelity confessions, found that a vast majority of husbands (more than 85%) and a large majority of wives (65%) would have affairs if they could definitely get away with it."

"British data from 2009 revealed that no fewer than 1 in 5 divorce petitions that year mentioned Facebook" (she was talking about how Facebook has made it easier to get in touch with old flames and rekindle or look at with rose colored glass those relationships)

"Maybe like a suspension bridge, marriage can maintain its integrity and relevance by swaying with the strong winds, and letting new attitudes and rules in rather than by bracing rigidly against them." (discussing open marriages/polyamory).

Like I said - hard to read. The first part had me not ever wanting kids - due to the change/trauma she says they bring to a marriage. The rest of the book had me rethinking if I ever wanted to get married - due to the statistical numbers she gave for infidelity and argument for monogamous marriages being archaic. Overall I felt like it was a depressing look at marriage in America today. And yet, if all of her data is true, it was very insightful about marriages in America today.

Comments

darin said…
I had not even heard of this book - sounds pretty wild!

Popular posts from this blog

I love deals!

When I was growing up one of the things that we loved to do at the grocery was go to the bent can "aisle". This aisle could be a shopping cart or shelf space - never a whole aisle and always in the back - with reduced sale items. When I moved to NYC I learned in my Food Safety Class that you shouldn't eat bent cans because they promote salmonella (I think). This made me think 2 things: why did my mother try to kill us as children and why are they bent cans for sale for the full price at my neighborhood grocery? The first question was dismissed as we all survived, but the 2nd is still a real question (sometimes the only option for something is bent cans!). Well, this summer I found the reduced aisle at one store - it resulted in me buying a box of cereal that included a rebate for more than the cereal cost me ;-). And last night I hit it again. This time stocking up on goodies like diced tomatoes, black beans, pears and a can of pigeon peas. I've been noticing...

Review: Simple Truth Organic Thin & Crispy Vegan Crust & Pizza Sauce

We were sent samples of Simple Truth Organic Thin & Crispy Vegan Pizza Crust & Pizza Sauce.  We rounded out our samples with Kroger Pizza Blend Cheese, Kroger Pepperoni and Kroger Bella Mushrooms.  What can I say - we're a Kroger loving family! My little helper loved spreading the sauce and then all the ingredients.  I'm not sure all the cheese made it on the pizzas! Overall, this was good, but I'm not sure we'll purchase the crust again.  The "vegan" part didn't affect the taste as far as I could tell.  I LOVED that the crust was crispy (like a cracker almost), but where the toppings were it was a wee bit softer.  The texture was a+.  I felt like the crust had zero taste.  I did, however, enjoy the taste of the sauce.  I don't like my pizza sauce overly spicy or sweet and this one fit the bill - this we will purchase again. Can’t top the great taste of this #SimpleTruthOrganic Vegan pizza crust! #MyMagaz...

Labor of Love (Part 1 of 3)

I love lace. I love the delicacy with which it presents itself to the world. That being said, I dont really use it very much. I do have some family doilies, and my wedding dress has some lace, but I dont go too crazy. I like to be able to clean things, and not have dust mites clinging to every available piece of cloth (they cling to everything else anyway.) So, I decided to try a painting technique. Why not paint the lace on the object? Easy to clean, lovely design, what could be better? We got this child's vanity in an old attic pick. Yes, we went into someone's hot and muggy attic for several hours. Yes, they let us jsut dig through things (can you believe it?!?!) unsupervised. Yes, we had to take our own flashlights. And yes, there was mouse droppings and dead birds up there. It was gross, but worth it. My boy LOVED it! American Pickers is his favorite tv show. So this school bus yellow vanity sat there looking at us. Begging for new life! I knew if we left ...