Skip to main content

What's Cooking Wednesday - Thanksgiving Edition (part 1)

Man, I really like to cook for other people. Something I've known for awhile, but I'm reminded when a group of people are going to get together.

This week will be the bread and vegetables I made for Pullman Thanksgiving.

Irish Soda Bread

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 Tbls brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup golden raisins
1 3/4 cups milk

- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Stir in raisins. Make well in dry ingredients.
- Add the milk; stir till moistened.
- Turn into a greased 9x 1 1/2" baking pan. Bake in a 350 oven for 30-35 minutes or till the top is browned. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool thoroughly.
- Wrap bread in foil and clear plastic wrap and store overnight before servings.
Makes 1 loaf, 12 servings.
My changes: No raisins. I wanted this to be more of a bread then a sweet loaf. Used 1/2 & 1/2 instead of milk (had it on hand).

Can't go wrong with a loaf of Irish soda bread - even sent it home with an Irish lad! ;-)


Candied Carrots
4 Tbl unsalted butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 pounds small carrots, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

In a large saute pan, melt the butter over mediume head. Stir in the maple syrup, salt, cayenne, and 1/4 cup water. Add the carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the carrots are just tender and the glaze has thickened, 15-20 minutes, tossing gently every few minutes. Sprinkle with pepper.

This was yummy! Lots of butter though.

Dilled Carrots and Green Beans

3/4 cup water
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dill weed
4 medium carrots, julienned
1/2 lb fresh green beans
1/4 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing

In a small saucepan, bring the water, sugar, salt and dill to a boil. Add carrots and beans. Cook, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender; drain.

Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat.

So simple! So yummy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love deals!

When I was growing up one of the things that we loved to do at the grocery was go to the bent can "aisle". This aisle could be a shopping cart or shelf space - never a whole aisle and always in the back - with reduced sale items. When I moved to NYC I learned in my Food Safety Class that you shouldn't eat bent cans because they promote salmonella (I think). This made me think 2 things: why did my mother try to kill us as children and why are they bent cans for sale for the full price at my neighborhood grocery? The first question was dismissed as we all survived, but the 2nd is still a real question (sometimes the only option for something is bent cans!). Well, this summer I found the reduced aisle at one store - it resulted in me buying a box of cereal that included a rebate for more than the cereal cost me ;-). And last night I hit it again. This time stocking up on goodies like diced tomatoes, black beans, pears and a can of pigeon peas. I've been noticing...

Review: Simple Truth Organic Thin & Crispy Vegan Crust & Pizza Sauce

We were sent samples of Simple Truth Organic Thin & Crispy Vegan Pizza Crust & Pizza Sauce.  We rounded out our samples with Kroger Pizza Blend Cheese, Kroger Pepperoni and Kroger Bella Mushrooms.  What can I say - we're a Kroger loving family! My little helper loved spreading the sauce and then all the ingredients.  I'm not sure all the cheese made it on the pizzas! Overall, this was good, but I'm not sure we'll purchase the crust again.  The "vegan" part didn't affect the taste as far as I could tell.  I LOVED that the crust was crispy (like a cracker almost), but where the toppings were it was a wee bit softer.  The texture was a+.  I felt like the crust had zero taste.  I did, however, enjoy the taste of the sauce.  I don't like my pizza sauce overly spicy or sweet and this one fit the bill - this we will purchase again. Can’t top the great taste of this #SimpleTruthOrganic Vegan pizza crust! #MyMagaz...

Labor of Love (Part 1 of 3)

I love lace. I love the delicacy with which it presents itself to the world. That being said, I dont really use it very much. I do have some family doilies, and my wedding dress has some lace, but I dont go too crazy. I like to be able to clean things, and not have dust mites clinging to every available piece of cloth (they cling to everything else anyway.) So, I decided to try a painting technique. Why not paint the lace on the object? Easy to clean, lovely design, what could be better? We got this child's vanity in an old attic pick. Yes, we went into someone's hot and muggy attic for several hours. Yes, they let us jsut dig through things (can you believe it?!?!) unsupervised. Yes, we had to take our own flashlights. And yes, there was mouse droppings and dead birds up there. It was gross, but worth it. My boy LOVED it! American Pickers is his favorite tv show. So this school bus yellow vanity sat there looking at us. Begging for new life! I knew if we left ...