Skip to main content

What I'm Reading Now - The Provence Cure



This book starts in Florida (but it took me 3/4 of the book to figure that out...for some reason I thought they were in Boston!), but quickly moves to France...in the summer.   Is there a better time to read a book about southern France than in the summer?! (Def on my list of places I still need to go).  The book follows a woman named...Heidi...so it was a little weird to read at first.  Luckily it was written in first person so her name is not used often!  Heidi is working through the grief of losing her husband years ago so her mother thinks it a good idea to send Heidi & her son to the family house in France to rebuild it.  A fire had destroyed the kitchen.  The traveling group also includes Heidi's 16 year old step-niece (is that a term?).

They spend some time touring Paris before going to southern France and the small village/town that the house is in.  This book is about healing, it's about coming together as a family, it's about accepting things as they are now while not forgetting the past.

This was a semi-quick read for me.  I enjoyed the book - it made me want to go to Southern France!  But it also made me stop and think about life now - about letting go of some of the things in the past, about embracing the here and now and about living in each moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love deals!

When I was growing up one of the things that we loved to do at the grocery was go to the bent can "aisle". This aisle could be a shopping cart or shelf space - never a whole aisle and always in the back - with reduced sale items. When I moved to NYC I learned in my Food Safety Class that you shouldn't eat bent cans because they promote salmonella (I think). This made me think 2 things: why did my mother try to kill us as children and why are they bent cans for sale for the full price at my neighborhood grocery? The first question was dismissed as we all survived, but the 2nd is still a real question (sometimes the only option for something is bent cans!). Well, this summer I found the reduced aisle at one store - it resulted in me buying a box of cereal that included a rebate for more than the cereal cost me ;-). And last night I hit it again. This time stocking up on goodies like diced tomatoes, black beans, pears and a can of pigeon peas. I've been noticing...

Review: Simple Truth Organic Thin & Crispy Vegan Crust & Pizza Sauce

We were sent samples of Simple Truth Organic Thin & Crispy Vegan Pizza Crust & Pizza Sauce.  We rounded out our samples with Kroger Pizza Blend Cheese, Kroger Pepperoni and Kroger Bella Mushrooms.  What can I say - we're a Kroger loving family! My little helper loved spreading the sauce and then all the ingredients.  I'm not sure all the cheese made it on the pizzas! Overall, this was good, but I'm not sure we'll purchase the crust again.  The "vegan" part didn't affect the taste as far as I could tell.  I LOVED that the crust was crispy (like a cracker almost), but where the toppings were it was a wee bit softer.  The texture was a+.  I felt like the crust had zero taste.  I did, however, enjoy the taste of the sauce.  I don't like my pizza sauce overly spicy or sweet and this one fit the bill - this we will purchase again. Can’t top the great taste of this #SimpleTruthOrganic Vegan pizza crust! #MyMagaz...

Labor of Love (Part 1 of 3)

I love lace. I love the delicacy with which it presents itself to the world. That being said, I dont really use it very much. I do have some family doilies, and my wedding dress has some lace, but I dont go too crazy. I like to be able to clean things, and not have dust mites clinging to every available piece of cloth (they cling to everything else anyway.) So, I decided to try a painting technique. Why not paint the lace on the object? Easy to clean, lovely design, what could be better? We got this child's vanity in an old attic pick. Yes, we went into someone's hot and muggy attic for several hours. Yes, they let us jsut dig through things (can you believe it?!?!) unsupervised. Yes, we had to take our own flashlights. And yes, there was mouse droppings and dead birds up there. It was gross, but worth it. My boy LOVED it! American Pickers is his favorite tv show. So this school bus yellow vanity sat there looking at us. Begging for new life! I knew if we left ...