Skip to main content

Popular posts from this blog

Adding Machine Cake

What type of cake do you give a graduating accountant? Why an adding machine/printing calculator cake of course! A friend of mine text me asking me to make one for her husband's graduation party and I accepted the challenge! I was very nervous, as this was my first sculpted cake! The night before I started working on the cake I cut the keys out of fondant. Because I wanted to make it to scale, I used a photo of an actually printing calculator. And then used the algebra my momma taught me! :) The width of almost all of my keys is 5/8 of an inch. I then cut a 2" wide strip of gum paste approximately 6" long and laid it over a quart jar overnight to dry. The next day I started by making 2 9"x13" cakes and placing one on top of the other and shaping the top one (actually only using about 1/3 of it) to make the top of the calculator! I apologize I have no photos, this was a pre-blog cake. Then came butter cream in between the layers and covering the cake! I rolled o

Red Door is a perfume...what is Blue Door?

My house is one of many on the block. Built in the 50s, its a cookie cutter, built for the new families that needed homes after the WWII. There is not much to make it stand out. Honestly, that is OK. I do not want it to stand out TOO much. But, a little zest is always good, right? I wanted to come home to something special. Something different from what everyone else is coming home to. So I opted to paint my door. The color was the difficulty. There are so many good ones! I went for blue. And no, its not just a college basketball statement. I love blue! And my husband happens to like it to. When you agree, you just have to go with it! We took the door down, washed it and let it dry. Make sure you pick a time when you are going to be home for a solid 6-8 hrs. :-) Then, I sanded it to get the rough spots out. After that came the painting. I tried it first with a brush. I knew it would take several coats if I went that route. So, I switched to a roller for the flat parts, brush for the gr

Tamale Pie

In celebration of Cinco de Mayo - I made a crock pot recipe of tamale pie. Unfortunately I was so hungry that you only get to see a picture of the leftovers (it doesn't look as pretty as it actually did when I made it!). Tamale Pie Cornbread topping: -3/4 cup cornmeal -1 1/4 cup flour -1 cup milk -1/4 cup sugar -1 egg -1 t baking powder -1 chopped jalapeno pepper (optional) The Filling. -1 lbs ground & browned meat (optional) -2 can drained and rinsed black beans -1 can fire roasted tomatoes -1 can drained corn -1 T chili powder -1 t cumin -1/2 t paprika -1/4 cup diced onion -1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese The Directions. Spray your crockpot with cooking spray. Dump in the filling ingredients--cheese, too!-- and stir well to distribute the spices. You will not be able to stir this again, so please check to see that the spices aren't in a clump anywhere. In a separate bowl, mix together the cornbread topping. When finished, pour evenly over the filling, spreading with a sp