Skip to main content

Flowers galore and an easy dress!




(What a goofball, trying to figure out the timer on the camera and a storm is blowing in!)






Hello!



I saw a dress that a friend had made in her Facebook pictures. I thought "I could make that!" Being almost 6ft, it is nice to be able to make my own clothes now and again, especially dresses. Most of what i find in the store is either too short in the skirt, making me look like I am wearing a mini, or too short in the torso, and then everthing looks wrong. It takes a LOT of trying things on and rejecting before finding a hit.

She sent me to a site that had a mock up of it and instructions. Loose instructions. Pictures did it for me! Especially since I dont have internet at home and end up surfing during my lunch break. I tried to remember what I could when doing mine last week. It had been a few weeks since I saw it, but no instructions and no patterns to really look at = FUN!









Have I told you I am cheap? Some like to say thrifty, and yes that would be true. I dont like to pay full price for anything and I like to make a dollar go far!





I got this tank top at Old Navy like 5 years ago for $0.75. That is right, seventy-five cents. I got this material from an old sheet that was in with a box of things for $1.








So I cut off a 48 in section long ways and then folded it over. (Normally this would be a yard and a half or more of fabric. Fabric always comes folded over already, so you would jut need a yard and a half. I chose a sheet so I could make it a little longer (aka, skirt goes down to my knees).







I folded it in half again and pinned it so I could make a seam. I then sewed it together.










The next part was a little tricky. I had to change the tension on my needle, to make it very loose and I couldnt back stitch. Normally, my setting is on 1, I changed it to 11. This inables you to move the fabric and bunch it up. After you bunch it, try it on to make sure you didnt bunch it so tight it wont fit you! Always try it on. Stitches are not permanent, and you can always rip them out and start over.





Turn your tension back to normal. Then you cut your tank to the size you want it, and put it together with you skirt. Now, you have to turn both inside out and put the shirt inside, like it the picture. I had to check it several times after I pinned it together to make sure the tag wouldnt be on the wrong side when I turned it the right way. Sew it together.








Then turn it right side out and try it on! (If it isnt right, just pull out the threads. Sewing a piece does not mean it is permanent if there is a mistake. Cutting however...)







You arent quite done yet though, unless that was enough for you. You can embelish the middle with a belt or ribbon of a different fabric, or you can use some leftover fabric (if you have any) to make a belt. Just use a long piece and sew it up the side and ends. Bunch it up, tie it (or pin it) and away you go!








I pinned mine. Next Monday I will show you the pin I made for it. Wore this ensemble to a wedding on Saturday!

Comments

Hannah said…
Cool! I thought it was a skirt! lol! Maybe it was because I had seen the tank before... not sure. Possible to use some of the left over "sheet" to make a ruffle on the outside of the sleeves? That would make it easily identifiable as one cohesive piece! But it's awesome! Just trying to add some constructive crit. not that I could make it if I wanted to and it DEFINITELY wouldn't look that good on me!
Julia Hazel said…
Jeannette!! I love how talented you are with the sewing machine! Came out real purty. And I have the EXACT SAME problem finding dresses that fit me. :( Just this spring I bought a dress I loved but was too short to really be decent and then asked my mom to fix it by cutting some of the lining and adding it to the hem...it came out great a trip to the fashion district, several phone calls, and one express package later and I wore it to a rehearsal dinner and to 5th grade graduation...but it would be nice if I got some better sewing skills myself.

Popular posts from this blog

Adding Machine Cake

What type of cake do you give a graduating accountant? Why an adding machine/printing calculator cake of course! A friend of mine text me asking me to make one for her husband's graduation party and I accepted the challenge! I was very nervous, as this was my first sculpted cake! The night before I started working on the cake I cut the keys out of fondant. Because I wanted to make it to scale, I used a photo of an actually printing calculator. And then used the algebra my momma taught me! :) The width of almost all of my keys is 5/8 of an inch. I then cut a 2" wide strip of gum paste approximately 6" long and laid it over a quart jar overnight to dry. The next day I started by making 2 9"x13" cakes and placing one on top of the other and shaping the top one (actually only using about 1/3 of it) to make the top of the calculator! I apologize I have no photos, this was a pre-blog cake. Then came butter cream in between the layers and covering the cake! I rolled o

Labor of Love (Part 1 of 3)

I love lace. I love the delicacy with which it presents itself to the world. That being said, I dont really use it very much. I do have some family doilies, and my wedding dress has some lace, but I dont go too crazy. I like to be able to clean things, and not have dust mites clinging to every available piece of cloth (they cling to everything else anyway.) So, I decided to try a painting technique. Why not paint the lace on the object? Easy to clean, lovely design, what could be better? We got this child's vanity in an old attic pick. Yes, we went into someone's hot and muggy attic for several hours. Yes, they let us jsut dig through things (can you believe it?!?!) unsupervised. Yes, we had to take our own flashlights. And yes, there was mouse droppings and dead birds up there. It was gross, but worth it. My boy LOVED it! American Pickers is his favorite tv show. So this school bus yellow vanity sat there looking at us. Begging for new life! I knew if we left

Caning with Grandpa!

Here is what we were working toward! (Aka: the finished product!) I got this chair either out of the trash or very cheap. I cannot actually remember, as we have a host of chairs without seats in them waiting for a new lease on life. I have been wanting to work on a chair like this for some time. I had a dream a few years back of me sitting and caning a chair with my grandfather. Ever since that dream, I have wanted to see it happen. So this last weekend, I made the trek up to Indiana to spend a few wonderful days with my grandparents. The days spent with them are like living in another world. They have no TV, so we spend lots of time talking, reading and playing games. They live out in the country, and you can see the stars up close. It gets darker, since there are no city light or lights from other homes...which means they want to go to bed at 7pm. :-)... AND wake up at 4am. We got started caning the chair in the cold basement. All of Grandpa's tools were down there, so we coul