Skip to main content

Flag Cake





It's official! My first ever blog post!
As a disclaimer the ideas I used for the cake are not original! :) I used 3 different designs and put them together to make my own!
First we start with the base: The Cake!
This design takes 2 boxes of cake mix. Be forewarned you will have a little less than 1 cake box of cake left over. Make the cake as directed however make 2 8" round cakes dyed red and 1 8" round cake dyed blue in total you will have
1 - white 8" round
1 - blue 8" round
2 - red 8" rounds
Next slice the two red cakes in half horizontally so you will not have 4 red rounds. You make set one of these rounds to the size (you will not use it for this cake) Next cut a 4" circle out one of the remaining red rounds (I used a small pyrex bowl as my guide and simply cut around it).
Next slice the white cake in half horizontally, as you did the red cakes. Cut a 4" circle out of one of the rounds.
Finally cut a 4" circle out of the middle of the blue cake - don't worry if it is not exactly in the middle!
In total you should have
2 - red 8" rounds
1 - white 8" round
1 - red 4" round
1 - white 4" round
1 - blue with a 4" round cut in the middle

*There are too many red rounds in this picture! :)



I always start my cakes by putting a small amount of frosting on the plate or cake board in order to ensure that the cake won't more while during icing.
Then you can start assembling the cake! Start with one of the red rounds then put a thin layer of icing then add the white round, then another this layer of icing, topped with the other red round. Add another this layer of icing and then put the blue round on. Ice the inside of the round and place the white 4" round, ice with another thin layer of icing and then place the red 4" round into the whole.
At this point your cake should look something like this:

Then I iced the entire cake in white buttercream, the sides I put a pretty thin layer of icing, because of the design I planned to use!

Second: Flags around the outside!
Using Tip 12 I piped a flagpole at the quarter marks of the cake (and put a ball on the top of each)
I then marked an outer edge for the blue field for each flag (approximately 2.5")
Then with Tip 18 I piped a row of red stars around the bottom of the cake, followed by a row of white also with an 18 tip. Alternate red and white (putting 6 rows total before the marked blue field) then finish the alternating pattern to the right of the "blue field". There should be a total of 13 red and white lines.
Then I used the 18 tip to fill in the "marked field" with Blue stars.
Next I used a 16 tip to pipe white stars onto the blue field
I should have taken a picture during this process but I didn't (first blog!)

Finally: Fireworks on the top!
Using tip 233 I piped a circle of blue, followed by a circle of white, started within the blue and finished with red in the middle giving the effect of fireworks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adding Machine Cake

What type of cake do you give a graduating accountant? Why an adding machine/printing calculator cake of course! A friend of mine text me asking me to make one for her husband's graduation party and I accepted the challenge! I was very nervous, as this was my first sculpted cake! The night before I started working on the cake I cut the keys out of fondant. Because I wanted to make it to scale, I used a photo of an actually printing calculator. And then used the algebra my momma taught me! :) The width of almost all of my keys is 5/8 of an inch. I then cut a 2" wide strip of gum paste approximately 6" long and laid it over a quart jar overnight to dry. The next day I started by making 2 9"x13" cakes and placing one on top of the other and shaping the top one (actually only using about 1/3 of it) to make the top of the calculator! I apologize I have no photos, this was a pre-blog cake. Then came butter cream in between the layers and covering the cake! I rolled o

Labor of Love (Part 1 of 3)

I love lace. I love the delicacy with which it presents itself to the world. That being said, I dont really use it very much. I do have some family doilies, and my wedding dress has some lace, but I dont go too crazy. I like to be able to clean things, and not have dust mites clinging to every available piece of cloth (they cling to everything else anyway.) So, I decided to try a painting technique. Why not paint the lace on the object? Easy to clean, lovely design, what could be better? We got this child's vanity in an old attic pick. Yes, we went into someone's hot and muggy attic for several hours. Yes, they let us jsut dig through things (can you believe it?!?!) unsupervised. Yes, we had to take our own flashlights. And yes, there was mouse droppings and dead birds up there. It was gross, but worth it. My boy LOVED it! American Pickers is his favorite tv show. So this school bus yellow vanity sat there looking at us. Begging for new life! I knew if we left

Caning with Grandpa!

Here is what we were working toward! (Aka: the finished product!) I got this chair either out of the trash or very cheap. I cannot actually remember, as we have a host of chairs without seats in them waiting for a new lease on life. I have been wanting to work on a chair like this for some time. I had a dream a few years back of me sitting and caning a chair with my grandfather. Ever since that dream, I have wanted to see it happen. So this last weekend, I made the trek up to Indiana to spend a few wonderful days with my grandparents. The days spent with them are like living in another world. They have no TV, so we spend lots of time talking, reading and playing games. They live out in the country, and you can see the stars up close. It gets darker, since there are no city light or lights from other homes...which means they want to go to bed at 7pm. :-)... AND wake up at 4am. We got started caning the chair in the cold basement. All of Grandpa's tools were down there, so we coul