Skip to main content

What I'm cooking this week



What's a girl to do when she finds collard greens marked down?



Find a recipe on the Whole Food's website of coarse!

Greens with Carrots, Feta and Brown Rice


2 carrots, shredded
2 bunches dark leafy greens (kale, collard greens or Swiss chard), tough stems removed, leaves very thinly sliced
½ red onion, finely chopped
¼ tsp sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
¼ pound feta cheese, crumbled
1 (20oz) package of brown rice, prepared according to package directions

Put carrots, greens, onions, ¼ cup water, salt and pepper into a large, deep skillet and toss well. Cover and cook over medium heat, tossing once or twice, until greens are wilted and tender, 10 – 15 minutes. Toss with feta cheese and spoon over brown rice. (Sprinkle with feta?)


Makes 4 servings: 310 calories, 8g fat, 530mg sodium, 6g fiber, 11g protein

In true Heidi fashion I didn't have any carrots to shred. But earlier that week when getting a can opener demonstration (it's own funny story) we opened a can of sliced carrots...which worked fine. Actually I think I liked it better as they were easy to pick up with the fork.

I also sprinkled the cheese on rather than tossing it. I thought it might melt a bit and clumb with the hot greens. Yum, yum.

Comments

Amy said…
love it! I am obsessed with their website as well:)

Popular posts from this blog

I love deals!

When I was growing up one of the things that we loved to do at the grocery was go to the bent can "aisle". This aisle could be a shopping cart or shelf space - never a whole aisle and always in the back - with reduced sale items. When I moved to NYC I learned in my Food Safety Class that you shouldn't eat bent cans because they promote salmonella (I think). This made me think 2 things: why did my mother try to kill us as children and why are they bent cans for sale for the full price at my neighborhood grocery? The first question was dismissed as we all survived, but the 2nd is still a real question (sometimes the only option for something is bent cans!). Well, this summer I found the reduced aisle at one store - it resulted in me buying a box of cereal that included a rebate for more than the cereal cost me ;-). And last night I hit it again. This time stocking up on goodies like diced tomatoes, black beans, pears and a can of pigeon peas. I've been noticing...

Review: Simple Truth Organic Thin & Crispy Vegan Crust & Pizza Sauce

We were sent samples of Simple Truth Organic Thin & Crispy Vegan Pizza Crust & Pizza Sauce.  We rounded out our samples with Kroger Pizza Blend Cheese, Kroger Pepperoni and Kroger Bella Mushrooms.  What can I say - we're a Kroger loving family! My little helper loved spreading the sauce and then all the ingredients.  I'm not sure all the cheese made it on the pizzas! Overall, this was good, but I'm not sure we'll purchase the crust again.  The "vegan" part didn't affect the taste as far as I could tell.  I LOVED that the crust was crispy (like a cracker almost), but where the toppings were it was a wee bit softer.  The texture was a+.  I felt like the crust had zero taste.  I did, however, enjoy the taste of the sauce.  I don't like my pizza sauce overly spicy or sweet and this one fit the bill - this we will purchase again. Can’t top the great taste of this #SimpleTruthOrganic Vegan pizza crust! #MyMagaz...

Labor of Love (Part 1 of 3)

I love lace. I love the delicacy with which it presents itself to the world. That being said, I dont really use it very much. I do have some family doilies, and my wedding dress has some lace, but I dont go too crazy. I like to be able to clean things, and not have dust mites clinging to every available piece of cloth (they cling to everything else anyway.) So, I decided to try a painting technique. Why not paint the lace on the object? Easy to clean, lovely design, what could be better? We got this child's vanity in an old attic pick. Yes, we went into someone's hot and muggy attic for several hours. Yes, they let us jsut dig through things (can you believe it?!?!) unsupervised. Yes, we had to take our own flashlights. And yes, there was mouse droppings and dead birds up there. It was gross, but worth it. My boy LOVED it! American Pickers is his favorite tv show. So this school bus yellow vanity sat there looking at us. Begging for new life! I knew if we left ...